http://DatingSecretsForDivorcedWomen.com/blog/online-dating-gone-wrong Online Dating Gone Wrong - Woman Sues Match.com
A woman sues Match.com asking the dating site to start screening its membership for sexual predators after her online dating gone wrong experience.
A Los Angeles entertainment executive identified as "Jane Doe," says she was raped by Alan Paul Wurtzel, a man she met on Match.com. Her attorney, Mark L. Webb is asking for a temporary injunction against Match.com, barring the popular online dating service from signing up new members until they start complying with his client's requests.
But Match.com, says that they provide their users with dating safety tips, and that although this is a horrible incident, the users are ultimately responsible to screen the people that they meet on the dating site.
Match.com attorney Robert Platt said the company can't be expected to screen the dating site members.
"Then you'd have to ask for people's social security numbers, which they don't want to do. And of course you'd have to pass on the cost to the consumer of doing this," he said.
The company has no liability, he claimed. "There is a provision on the website saying that they're not liable for this, and it lets people know that they're not providing this service and people use it at their own risk."
When You Date Online, There Is No Dating Safety Net
From the match.com website:
"You understand that match.com does not in any way screen its members, nor does match.com inquire into the backgrounds of its members or attempt to verify the statements of its members."
This woman suing Match.com who is described as "Jane Doe," 53 years old, is an Ivy League graduate who works in film and television. She says that she met the perpetrator for a first date at a West Hollywood restaurant, Urth Cafe. She said she found him charming, and agreed to a second date.
But after the second date at a sushi restaurant Alan Wurtzel followed her home and sexually assaulted her. It was after the attack, she went online and googled his name andAlan-Paul-Wurtzel-Online-Dating-Assault discovered that the man had already been convicted of sexual battery against other women.
The Alleged Victim of Online Dating Related Sexual Assault
Jane Doe said in a statement:
"This horrific ordeal completely blindsided me because I had considered myself savvy about online dating safety. Things quickly turned into a nightmare, beyond my control."
The "tips" from Match.com -- suggest to meet in public, stay sober, and tell a friend what was happening, wouldn't necessarily have helped prevent this situation.
However, Jane Doe's lawyer, Mark Webb points out, if Match.com has the capabilities to screen for sexual offenders and can implement them, it probably wouldn't hurt them. "It's not a guarantee," he said.
Wurtzel was charged in a separate case, with two felony sexual assault counts in Los Angeles Superior Court in 2010. He pleaded not guilty to those charges. The case's next court date is April 26.
The civil suit filed Wednesday, April 13, 2011, demands that Match.com screen its members for sexual predators. The lawsuit asks for a temporary injunction barring the site from signing up more members until attorney Webb's client's demands are met.
Could this action that Jane Doe has taken change the way women will view online dating services and prevent more online dating gone wrong experiences like this?
I guess only time will tell.
Tell me what you think.
P.S. Is there a viable alternative to dating online?
Click the Link